Hogs....down in the bog!

Hogs....down in the bog!

May 5, 2011

Happy Hunting

Well, I don't know how turkey season has started off for the rest of you, but it has been a bust so far for me. Last Friday, Josh and I gathered all of our gear together so we could have the car already packed for our 4AM call time. I was given the choice of my turkey vest or my backpack...I clearly chose my backpack. Mainly because while my vest is awesome (thank you Jarrid) I don't do a whole lot of calling on my own...ok I don't do any calling on my own. So my box call just squeaks around in my vest and my gloves end up falling out of my pockets. Try looking for a camouflaged glove in the middle of the woods (impossible). So I opted for the backpack and got all my goodies ready. I was under the impression that it was going to be warm, so I was going with light layers. I ended up freezing and had to bust open my hand warmer to get me through. It was super windy and sitting in a blind doesn't really allow for the sun to warm you up all that much. I had a brand new pair of Under Armor gloves to test out (very lightweight and they actually come close to fitting my small hands). I stashed my binoculars, hog calls (you never know), lucky hat, face mask (also brand new-my old one made me feel like I was being suffocated), granola bar, Powerade, fleece zip up, hand warmers, face paint, and a few other random necessities.

We headed into the woods, certain that I would have a bird on the ground by 8:30AM. Needless to say that all we ended up seeing was a groundhog, cat, one hen, and a goose. Of course when we popped by later that day, there was a hen and three gobblers headed right for my blind...but that's the fun of the hunt-you never know when the stars will align and everything will happen as planned. As soon as Josh teaches me how to upload videos from our Kodak Cam, I will post the video from this hunt. Nothing too exciting, but Josh does almost fall off his seat :o)

Good luck this weekend hunters!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment