Hogs....down in the bog!

Hogs....down in the bog!

May 10, 2011

Warning: Ticks!

Yesterday I was getting ready to go out for a run, and while putting my hair up I noticed a bump on my head. I went to investigate further, but couldn't relocate the spot. I left for my run, forgetting about my head until the next morning. While drying my hair I was able to relocate the spot and asked Josh to check it. Low and behold, it was a tick. Thank goodness he was there because I was freaking out at the idea of a blood sucking bug burrowing into my brain. I shudder just thinking about it. Josh removed my little squatter and we gave him a burial at sea. This of course got me thinking about ticks in general and what I can do to make sure I don't find any more of these little guys.

I went to the CDC's website to find some more information. They recommend walking in the center of trails while in the woods and staying out of wooded areas. Clearly they are unaware that it is spring turkey season, so onto step two. Using a repellent with 20% or more DEET. There are a list of other repellents they recommend if you check out their website.

They also have tips for finding and removing ticks if you find them on you.
1. Wear light colored clothing so that ticks are easy to spot. (Don't worry, I'm sure the turkeys won't see you in a white shirt).

2. Conduct a full body tick check. (For some reason Brad Paisley's song comes into my head).

3. Examine your gear and pets. Tumbling them (the gear NOT the pets) on high for one hour in the dryer may help kill remaining ticks.

4. Shower soon after returning indoors.

I added this image of different ticks and their various sizes at different life stages. (This image was obtained at the CDC's website).

If you are bitten by a tick and exhibit any of the following symptoms, see a doctor immediately: fever/chills, rash, aches and pains. Ticks can carry some pretty serious diseases, and are nothing to take lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment