Hogs....down in the bog!

Hogs....down in the bog!

March 9, 2011

Evening Gowns and Camouflage

As my eyes grazed across the collection of bags I was about to throw into that Tahoe, I realized that to the untrained eye I looked like a nut. The collection of clothes and other items in front of me could not be categorized in any other way than chaos. Evening gowns and camouflage-two of my favorite things. The evening gown, nothing more than a brand new dress ready to party in, was for Josh's cousin's wedding in Savannah. The camouflage,  carefully wrapped so that it was impossible for any rogue specks of dirt to get on the dress, was tucked safely beside it. Stilettos and Muck Boots went in next. My Mucks were wrapped in plastic trash bags to preserve the newness of my brand new Simply Vera nude colored platform pumps (heaven!). Don't even get me started on the accessories which were equally as eclectic-diamonds and my new 308. Okay, well the 308 is "technically" Josh's, but I had claimed it for this trip. Either way you slice it, it made no sense. Unless you are Ali or I, and in that case it was a normal trip with the boys. We decided that since we were going to be in Savannah anyway, we might as well make a quick trip to the property in South Carolina to get some much anticipated hog hunting in. I was itching to let that new 308 tear into some pigs.

It had been almost two years since we had been on a trip with Ali and Jarrid, so we were all looking forward to a relaxing and crazy weekend. By the looks of my pack job, we were off to a good start. It was a fairly typical trip down: four different conversations happening at once with everyone talking over each other, Chick-fil-A stop in Maryland, and one bag of licorice for the road (though I made an all time record by not even opening it until 12AM-BUT it only survived for about ten minutes). We arrived in Savannah around 4AM and managed to get a few hours sleep before sight seeing bright and early the next morning. If you have never been to Savannah, you need to go and you must do the trolley tour. After a beautiful wedding, we loaded ourselves back into the car for the quick trip to South Carolina.

South Carolina started off with a trip around the property on the ranger and a lunch stop at Lester's. Heaven! Then we were in the stands for the first hunt of the weekend. Josh and I sat in the Ditch Stand while Jarrid and Ali headed to the Graveyard Stand on the other side of the road. It was a perfect day for hog hunting, 70 degrees and slightly overcast, and I must have jinxed us by saying that so much. Jarrid and Ali saw zero hogs, but they did see fifteen deer. Josh and I saw about ten deer and our hogs came out right at the last light. Two sows and a bunch of piglets popped out to our right. I got my sights on the larger ones and waited to get a shot. Finally one pulled away from the group and I got my shot. Shaking, I handed the gun to Josh and told him to get on it. After my last experience I was a little nervous about possibly having to shoot twice. As I was handing Josh and 308 I looked behind his shoulder and saw another pig wandering through the field behind us. Josh turned to get a shot, but the sneaky pig made it into the woods unscathed. Luckily, I had dropped her with one shot and we didn't have to wait too long before Jarrid and Ali pulled up in the ranger.

We got the hog back to the camper and cleaned up for the gentleman we were giving it to. We have more than enough hog meat and he was in need of some, so it worked out well. All in all it was a successful trip and I can't wait to get back down there for turkey season!
Josh and I with my harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment