Hogs....down in the bog!

Hogs....down in the bog!

March 11, 2011

Top 10 Weekend: Gadgets

This week's Top 10 list is dedicated to the variety of hunting gadgets that I have either acquired over the past few years or wish to acquire immediately. My birthday is coming up this summer if anyone is interested...

1. Camouflage Duck Tape. I have no idea why you would need this, but I feel the need to use it on everything.

2. Range finder. Pretty obvious, but just make sure you know how to use it. :o) This will tell you the distance you are from the animal you want to hunt. When you are bored in your stand, you can also check how far the various trees, birds, squirrels, and flowers are from you.

3. Butt Out. I am obsessed with this, although I have technically not used it yet. I got Josh one for Christmas and we always seem to forget to grab it when it comes time to clean out the deer/hog. Disgusting, yes, but also pretty awesome. I would explain this for the non-hunters, but I'm pretty sure you can figure it out on your own.

4. ThermaCell. This will save your life when you are turkey hunting. This nifty little device has a card with bug repellent on it that you slide behind the screen. Then you ignite the heater and it dispenses the repellent into the air around you to keep the bugs off you.

5. Cough silencer. Yes, they make something so that you can cough with no noise. This is not only useful for hunting, but any situation where silence is golden. (Ali, you should have had this in SC last weekend).

6. Night vision. Not legal to hunt with obviously, but SUPER cool to play with! Just don't turn on any lights when you are using it or expect to go blind.

7. Earth scent wafers. They actually make a little disc that smells like dirt. Very weird, but very cool. For those of you who are unfamiliar with hunting, you want to use scent eliminating spray to take away the "human" smell. Then you want to make yourself smell like either dirt, or animal pee. Gross, but necessary if you want to be successful. Just don't do what Josh does and store real deer pee in our freezer. (Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that, now no one will be accepting any dinner invites).

8. Windicator. Nothing more than baby powder in a squeeze bottle, it will tell you what way the wind is blowing. Ingenious.

9. Gum-o-flage. Make your breath pine tree fresh. Perfect for your next date with a deer.

10. Snake Fence. I have just found out that these exist, and will be purchasing one for turkey season. They claim that snakes "can't and won't" cross it. I wonder if I can make a bubble out of it to walk around in when I'm in the woods...

Everything on my list can be found at your nearest Cabela's, or online!

No comments:

Post a Comment