Hogs....down in the bog!

Hogs....down in the bog!

March 18, 2011

Top 10 Weekend: Reflection


Reflection. We all need it in our lives, though may of us never do it. Sometimes we need it at work, with family, or to help us through a difficult time. This week’s Top 10 list is centered on reflection when hunting. We have all had those times in a blind or a tree stand where nothing is moving and we may feel like our time has been wasted. This also relates to you non-hunters because I have found the list below to be true when I am running.

You may or may not agree with me on these, but this is what I take away from time in the woods.

1. Enjoy the quiet. Life is too busy, noisy and chaotic 99% of the time. Take this time to really look at the world around you and appreciate what you have and what has been created for you. Josh’s Blackberry is going off non-stop, and mine isn’t much better. I always enjoy a few hours on a Saturday morning when we are forced into quiet.

“The best thing about animals is that they don’t talk much.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Be thankful. Especially for the important people in your life. If you are hunting with a parent, child, spouse or even a friend take this time to reconnect with them. Some of Josh and my best conversations have happened when we were sitting in a stand waiting for pigs to come out. I usually find myself counting my blessings when I am outside.

“Write your worries in the sand, then carve your blessings in stone. “

3. Listen.  I am guilty of this one. I often do more talking than listening, and it is something I am trying to work on. Listen to the sounds around you; the birds, squirrels, wind and even the thoughts in your head. Nature has a lot to tell you if you just listen to it.

4. Gratitude. Take a minute to be grateful for the opportunity to be out in the woods. Other people may be working, dealing with hardship, or taking care of a sick child or parent. Be grateful that you have the resources to go hunting and outfit yourself for it. I am always grateful that I get to spend time alone with Josh when we are in the woods together…I am also grateful for the green apple licorice that I get to bring with me.

5. Remember. Think about why you started hunting. Was it a passion for being outdoors? Was it to spend more time with a parent? Get back to the real reason you love the outdoors. Harvesting a massive 10-point is great, but I doubt that is what got you hooked in the beginning. I began because I was curious about what Josh was doing for all those hours in the woods, and because I wanted to spend more time with him.

6. Recharge. Your phone is on silent, your children and spouse are at home and work is a million miles away. Enjoy what you love.

“Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” Lao Tzu

7. Sort out life. This relates to recharging and enjoying the quiet. Sometimes problems seem too big to tackle. Sometimes you have a difficult choice to make or you are faced with a situation that seems intolerable. I have been known to use my time hunting to try and find a path through a difficult time. I don’t always find an answer to my problems, but I am able to clearly sort through my thoughts.

The best remedy for those who are afraid,
lonely or unhappy is to go outside,
somewhere where they can be quiet,
alone with the heavens, nature and God.
Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be
and that God wishes to see people happy,
amidst the simple beauty of nature.
I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.
-Anne Frank

8. Be inspired. Some of my most creative ideas have come to me when hunting or walking through the woods. This blog was one of them, as were some of the creative elements of our wedding.

“Look deep into nature, then you will understand everything better.” Albert Einstein

9. Document. Josh and I are passionate about documenting our experiences in the woods. We videotape almost everything, and I take tons of pictures. Last Christmas, I made a scrapbook for Josh from hunting pictures of when he was younger. I want to continue documenting our adventures, not only for the blog, but to show our children and grandchildren one day.

10. Educate. I have learned so much about nature, myself, my relationships and probably a million other things when I have been out in the woods. Josh has been an amazing teacher to me. I was the girl who had no idea what she was holding when she found her first shed. Now I am able to read deer trails, scrapes and rubs in the woods without help (most of the time). Use your time to teach your child, spouse, or parent something you know about nature/life. Hunting is working on teaching me patience, though I may need a few repeats on that lesson.


“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment